Sunday, May 29, 2011

Another Doomed Effort

In the NYTimes, an article about redesigning the "Food Pyramid", which attempts to instruct Americans about a healthy diet: Goodbye Food Pyramid, Hello Dinner Plate.

My favorite quote:

“It’s going to be hard not to do better than the current pyramid, which basically conveys no useful information,” said Walter C. Willett, chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Willett said he had not seen the new logo.

The government, the media, and everyone else in the world have been telling us for decades that we're too fat. Along the way, we keep getting fatter.

What if we just stop nagging everyone about what they eat? The U.S.D.A could save at least 2 million bucks if they just quit now.

All these diet programs remind me of the equally ineffective reading programs that our kids suffer through at school.

3 comments:

  1. Cynthia says:
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PsychMom says:

    I read somewhere recently that my fitness at midlife determines my likelihood of illness in my senior years. Aside from wanting to scream ..."Oh, DUH...that's earth shattering news", I was dismayed to see that they used ability to run as the measure of fitness. In my whole life I've never been able to run. So as soon as I see that a woman, age 40, should be able to run a mile in about 12 minutes, and that this is an indication of only moderate fitness, my instinct it to give up.....totally. Not inspired in the least, to even try.

    So now tell a 6 year old what to read, how fast to read and the amount of reading that needs to be done....not much hope for creating a love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, if we'd stop subsidizing corn we could save a lot more money and get people healthier at the same time. Corn is in everything these days and has led to the things that aren't good for us (soda, candy, meats, etc.) being much cheaper than the things that are good for us.

    ReplyDelete