Thursday, December 23, 2010

Vacation HOMEWORK?

I was planning not to post again until after Christmas. Oh well, there's another plan shot.

The current target of my ire is Jay Mathews, who has written yet another dunderheaded article: Winter Holiday Enrichment Made Easy. In this one, he canvassed various teachers (beginning with preschool!) for educational projects parents can do with their kids over the Christmas break. ("Make an ABC poster out of old magazines! Fun and educational!" Barf.)

One mother wrote in that the article made her laugh, because her 9th-grader is already bogged down with work to do over the break. The last thing she's looking for is more projects for him.

Which one of Satan's minions is responsible for the truly terrible idea of giving kids schoolwork over vacation? It's called VACATION! Kids should have a chance to relax, recharge, and reconnect with family and friends.

For more on vacation homework:

Vacation Homework? Seriously?

Vacation Homework -- Pro Teacher Community

Homework? During Break? Thoughts on Teaching

Homework Beckons, Vacation Vanishes

Take Action Against Winter Homework

3 comments:

  1. Wow, he responded back to you in the comments! Good job! Merry Christmas to you and your bloggy friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FedUpMom: Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Email me: thereflectiveeducator@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get me started on this. Just go to StopHomework. I believe I've written some compelling stuff on this subject. Allow me to simmer down and I'll cut and paste here.

    ReplyDelete